Thursday, April 30, 2009

Hello Emergency Room! My name is Little Miss R.

We were outside doing yard work and Little Miss R was accidentally hit with the rake on her head. Ouch!!!{at 6:45pm}! There is a little gash on the right side of her head, under her hair and it was bleeding pretty good, getting all over her hair. So I decided to take her to the Emergency Room at the hospital {at 7:00 pm}. I have never taken any of my children, myself or my husband to the E.R., so this was definitely a first for our family. We had to wait for about a half an hour before she was seen and we were admitted. The nurse {at 7:35 pm} was saying that we were lucky that it was under her hair, because it would only leave a scar under there which is rarely seen. But she might complain about her hair not doing what she wants when she is 16 and going to the prom, because of a little bump. We were hungry and asked if the cafeteria was open. It wasn't. An admittance lady gave us a couple of dollars to buy food out of the vending machine, because I didn't have any cash. That was really nice.
Anyway, she really had strawberry red blonde hair today. More so than usual. Little Miss R wouldn't let the nurse take a real good look at it, but from what she could tell, she said Little Miss R, would need stitches. But since stitches are kind of tramatic, because they take a while to put in, they wanted to put a STAPLE in her head. Apparently it is very common and fast, so it made it easier. I have had stitches a few times, but I had never heard of staples being put into someone, especially their head. She said that they do that a lot in people's heads. Freaky. But Anyway, Little Miss R was running around the E.R. and playing, she really wouldn't let me put something for pressure on her head. Then she exhausted herself and fell asleep {at 9:00 pm}.
By the time they called our name to go back and be taken care of, it was two hours later {at 9:30 pm}, which wasn't as long as I thought it would take (I was told 3-4 hours initially). We went back, and it was a blessing that Little Miss R was asleep, because they could actually clean her wound and she didn't inhibit them from doing so. She fussed and wined in her sleep while they were doing it though.
Well, by the time that they had cleaned it, the doctor looked at it and suggested staples again. He said that they could numb the area, but heads doing have very many nerve endings and if he numbed it, she would wake up and then have to put the staple in and feel owies twice. But if they put the staple straight in, then it would only hurt once for a few seconds. Oh! The choices we have to make as parents. I was torn, but told him to go ahead and put it in. I am a BIG wuss and don't like seeing blood or shots. So I didn't look when he put it into her head. Ouch! My Poor Baby Girl! She woke up screaming and crying! I felt so bad for her, I rocked her, and nearly was crying myself! I asked them for some tylenol. They brought it and then I had to convince her to take it, all the while she was saying, "Let's go Mommy! I don't like the hospital." I said, "The owies are all done baby. It's okay." She took the tylenol and then they gave her a whole roll of 20 princess stickers! Then we left with Little Miss R in my arms, holding her close.
I asked her where she wanted to go eat and she said, "McDonalds". So I took her through the drive-in {by this time it was 10 pm} and we hadn't eaten dinner yet. So I got her a happy meal. That made her happy--imagine that. What a tramatic day for her and me, for our whole family.
Luckily when I got home, Baby K, was still asleep, I had put her down right before we left. Mark and Little Man E, were really concerned about Little Miss R, and how she was doing. Little Man E, wanted to see her owie. It's weird because her wound is totally clean, yet it still looks red. The nurse says it's because that is what the color of her skin underneath is.


7 comments:

Jenny said...

I almost cried when I read this post! How traumatic for both of you. I hate the ER, the sight of blood, etc and I would not have done well. Glad she got her princess stickers and her happy meal!

Sharae said...

Gosh... I am so sorry. It is never a fun thing to have a child get hurt especially having a staple put in her head! Well, I hope that she gets better soon!

Ryan and Leah said...

owe! That is no fun for a little girl of mommy! Glad she is ok!

Summer said...

hit in the head with a rake! oh, poor Rachel. ouch ouch! good thing it didn't come down in her face. That is so upsetting. Glad things are better. I can't believe you had to wait so long in the ER. We've been there a couple times and it's always been empty so we've been seen right away. I hope here wound heals and you don't have to deal with any infections.

Megan and Jeremy said...

What a brave girl! That would have been so hard to watch your baby go through that Liz!

Angela said...

I ABSOLUTELY LOVE that first picture with Mark and Rachel. So sweet! I can't believe she had to get a staple!! And what a hard decision about her being asleep and numbing or not! AHH!!! I would die! Glad she is okay!

Candice said...

The poor thing, glad you both did so well!!

Link Within

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...